Pages

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Vacation Recap

Hi y'all! I hope you've all had a great weekend. :-) I had a busy week last week and thought I'd share some of the fun with you all. On Wednesday, we headed up to New Jersey to see some family before attending a wedding on Saturday. We went a few days early so that we could go into NYC for a day ... and so Thursday we got up and took the bus into the city, rode the subway to Battery Park, where we caught a ferry back to the NJ side to visit the one and only Carlo's Bake Shop from the TLC Show Cake Boss. We got to Hoboken about 11 am and it was about a 1/2 mile walk to Washington Street from the ferry docks. We were shocked to find out that there was an hour wait outside just to get into the bakery! But we stuck it out and when we finally got to the front of the line, we got a number and headed into the madness!
Occasionally, you'll see a massive crowd in the store on the show ... well, its all us tourists mobbing the place! LOL This photo captures about half of the store ... its not very big and it was pretty much elbow-to-elbow in there. You can see the stairwell that they run up and down in the back of the photo if you look close. A few minutes later they called my number and I hustled to try and figure out what I wanted.
I only got a few things to try since we would be running around the city all day. Of course, I couldn't pass up the fresh-filled cannolis. And I split that cream puff with the mister and it was pretty good too! But before we had our treats, we stopped at Rome Pizza for a fresh pizza pie before we headed back to NYC. It was definitely some good pizza! (We had smelled it on our way to the Bake Shop!)
So, we headed back across on the ferry to NYC, where we jumped on another ferry to the Statue of Liberty. Here's my mister with the Lady Liberty.
We took another ferry ride back to the city ... here we are with NYC in the background. The ferry ride is a short 10 minutes, but it did seem like we spent 1/2 the day on a boat! LOL

We did some more walking and saw Wall Street and then walked part of the Brooklyn Bridge before catching the subway back to Times Square. It was typical Times Square all lit up with lots of hustle and bustle.
We had dinner at the Hard Rock and caught the bus back to NJ. It was a great day - much better than our day trip two days before New Years when it was like 10 degrees outside!
Saturday, we went to my aunt's wedding which was on the water. We took the opportunity for a photo op in the garden area outside.
My aunt and uncle are big into boating and nautical-themed things, so the wedding was casual, which was a nice change. A few things that I loved from the wedding ... the lobster cookies ...
The fun cupcakes with edible shells, sea horses, etc. ...
And her gorgeous bouquet of sterling roses, orchids, and hydrangeas! And, of course, the bling! Loved this bouquet!
Well, that's all for now. I did save a lot of memorabilia stuff from the trip to give a mini scrapbook a go ... I will be sure to share when I get around to that! :-)
Thanks for stopping by ... I will be back with some crafty stuff tomorrow. See ya then!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like your vacation was tons of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a trip this must have been! Loved seeing your photos; I about dropped over when I saw Carlos Bakery! Wait until I show Ivy; we love the show and always say we want to try the cake!

    ReplyDelete